Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Dear God, please let us win the lottery...

Oh yes I certainly did to... Here's that prayer:

Dear God, please let us win the lottery so that we can travel and stop stressing about money. If we don't win the lottery, please shower me with contentment.

I firmly believe there are times when Jesus sits down to listen to me and he just shakes his head. Either because I've just proven to Him that i need Him or because he is tired of hearing me go on and on... I know that isn't true. Jesus is infinitely patient and full of grace (the opposite of me). But still, what is my problem? Where does this "stuff-ness" desire come from?Oh I know the answer. The root of all that is evil and eating away at my contentment and peace.

FACEBOOK!

(Do you find it ironic that I would bad mouth my blog posting notification medium?)

I have a beautiful non-Facebook friend that solidified my opinion when she texted me a couple of weeks ago....

Beautiful Non-Facebook Friend: Facebook is evil.
Me: I KNOW! My life is incomplete and empty and I am the only person I know that doesn't have a new house....

Well, it went something like that. You get the shallow gist of it. So I've decided (begrudgingly) that i need to figure out a way GET OVER IT! When i was facebook-fasting for Jesus (a.k.a. during Lent) i had an incredible peace and found myself without headaches, with more energy, and content for like the first time ever. What happened? Could it be that my time spent not reading the bible and Facebook stalking friends has dropped me into this spiral on discontent. (No? Well, maybe).

So I found that the bible actually addresses this issue. (I'm not at all surprised that my Heavenly Father has it covered.)

Ecclesiastes 6:9 NLT (I added a little to this)
Enjoy what you have rather than desiring what you don't have. Just dreaming about nice things (or pinning them) is meaningless-like chasing the wind.

1 Timothy 6:6
Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth.

"Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, most people still believe that money brings happiness. Rich people craving greater riches can be caught in an endless cycle that only ends in ruin and destruction. Paul gives us some guidelines:
1) Realize that one day riches will be gone;
2) be content with what you have;
3) monitor what you are willing to do to get more money;
4) love people more that money;
5) love God's work more than money;
6) freely share what you have with others."

Turns out I have already won the lottery (Not just marrying the handsomest man ever), I just need to access the vault.





I'm committing more time to Jesus. I'm gonna sit down with my used eBay bible and read this summer. (Yes, bought my "new" bible on eBay....those highlights in the picture were done by the previous owner. It's a long story.)

By the way, I promised to tithe my lottery winnings at one point during my prayer....don't judge!!

Joyfully full of it,
Tiff

**the notes are from my used eBay bible... NLT Parallel Study Bible.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment