Monday, February 16, 2009

Recovery…Basketball…TV…Trains? (see last paragraph)



….these are a few of my favorite things. Recovery of a right-sided stroke can take up to a year. Every day we are seeing improvement and are encouraged by dad’s desire to get better. We have to watch him because he wants to do things on his own so badly, but is just not strong enough yet. He is getting there. Basketball shoot-outs in room 139 are a daily occurrence. Dad got a basketball goal that we set up across his room. Michael is having fun “winning the championships” every day when we visit. Dad is getting good at hitting the nurses. TV is much better when it is attached to a mechanical arm and can be moved to accommodate your position. Michael still loves this feature of dad’s room. He has also become quite the expert at maneuvering Toot Toot’s “robot” bed. Katelynn has even warmed up to this new environment and went for a “ride” on the bed.


According to what I have read, recovery for a right-brained stroke takes from 3 months to a year. Three months is the minimal amount of time for recovery. It is possible to recover lost functions/memories/abilities within this time with intense and correct therapy. The fact that the family feels there is some improvement already is very encouraging.


I am trying to learn what I need to know for dad’s recovery. My struggle (because this really is all about me…HA) is relating to the therapists and understanding their process (or lack there of, in my opinion). Dad has three different kinds of therapists working with him every day. Speech therapy, Occupational therapy, and Physical Therapy. These three work together to give dad a better all-encompassing rehab process. They overlap and are all necessary in order to restore normalcy in dad’s life. I will blog later regarding their specific functions (Amber...this helped me understand more).


For now, Corey and I are working to keep the business going and all the drivers have stepped up to pull their weight and then some. Each day begins anew…we are facing the challenges head on.


The light at the end of the tunnel is a train coming BUT what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger…we have faced so much in the last two weeks that I know I am stronger that the train. BRING IT ON!

4 comments:

  1. You are amazing -- taking care of the family business, visiting your dad, updating your blog...is there anything you CANT do?! Much love to you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't get over how much Katelyn looks like you. Your mini-me. Glad recovery is going well.. i know it's got to be frustrating. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tiffany! I found your site through myspace. I was searching for our classmates. Glad to "see" you. I know exactly what you are going through with your dad. My dad too suffered a stroke in 2007. It has been an uphill journey for us. It's the most devastating thing that has ever happened to us. He has gone through 2 rehabs and is getting home health care. OT, PT, and speech. His speech was effected terribly. He uses a communication board. We can understand him, but others have difficulty. He uses a walker. This is tough because my dad was so active and sooo independent. I have spent countless hours researching stroke recovery and treatment. Being in the social work field has helped alot. I have been able to gather alot of resources to help my dad. Let me know if you have any questions. I may be able to help. I will do the same. It's nice to have a support system. I will keep your family in my prayers. Please do the same for mine. Tell your sweet mother I said hello! Take care and keep in touch! Angela Freeman~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! My email address is angelafreem@hotmail.com

    Angela~

    ReplyDelete